The Westview Wire

Your Wolverine News Source

The Westview Wire

The Westview Wire

Staff Celebrates The Start Of Second Semester With Chili Contest

Westview Staff commemorated the end of winter break by competing in a staff-wide chili and baking contest. Hosted by Curriculum Specialist Mrs. Gorrin and Secretary Ms. Beth, the second annual chili contest consisted of a wide variety of flavors, spices and competitions.

“We were thinking of something that could be fun for everyone, and we came up with a chili contest and a bake-off,” Ms. Beth said.

The chili contest acted as a welcome back party and a staff bonding event. With thirteen different chili varieties and many baked goods, the Westview staff mingled over a delicious feast.

“I love the time to decompress and not think about work, but just enjoy everyone’s company. It’s a competitive but fun event,” Mrs. Gorrin said.

In addition to the fun, this contest turned into an extreme competition between friends and coworkers.

Within five total categories, the stakes were high. The chili contests consisted of the best tasting, the spiciest, and the most creative. Competition was especially high in the spiciest category, but Mr. Moore, social studies teacher, came out on top. His greatest competition was against Mr. Wilcox, a fellow social studies teacher who only lost by two points.

“He may have won the battle, but I’ll win the war,” said Mr. Wilcox about his opponent.

Mr. Moore was not the only winner this year. Party planner and curriculum specialist Mrs. Gorrin won the best tasting category, and Coach Hodges took home the gold for most creative chili with his signature spaghetti chili.

As for the bakeoff, Mr. Herman brought his wife’s famous peppermint cheesecake that secured a win in the best tasting category. And finally, Mrs. Larson’s chocolate peanut cupcakes swept the board for a win in the most festive category.

Among the staff, there was no overall favorite chili or dessert. A few names were heard more often than others, like Mrs. Gorrin, Mr. Moore, Mrs. Boland, and more, but the results were incredibly scattered.

Ms. Beth has hopes that this contest remains an annual event, seeing how much joy and delight the party brought to all Westview staff members.

“It was so fun,” Counselor Mrs. Weeder said. “It was short, sweet and fun. I love good food, and the desserts were amazing.