The Westview Wire

Your Wolverine News Source

The Westview Wire

The Westview Wire

Rome wasn’t built in a day, but this TikTok trend was

Each day it seems that some new trend appears on social media. One of the most recent being the
“Roman Empire” trend. This trend has swept across TikTok easily becoming one of the most viral trends of the year.  

This trend follows a pattern of women asking the men in their life how often they think about the Roman Empire. To their surprise, the answer is typically astronomical compared to what they would have assumed. Women get responses ranging from daily to multiple times a day. 

Likewise, male students at Westview had a similar response.  

Jaiden Coltrane, 11, said that men thinking about the Roman Empire daily is true. 

In these videos, the women seemed shocked but the men, unscathed as they begin to defend their answers. Almost as if such ancient historical events have taken over daily life in the modern world.  

The joke has since evolved where all individuals explain what their “Roman Empire” is. This can be summed up into a topic, scenario, or subject that seems to flood one’s mind.  

The new piggy-backed trend on TikTok allows creators to add text on their videos. The text being what they consider to be their Roman Empire, with the song, “lacy,” by Olivia Rodrigo playing in the background.  

The lyrics in the song “Ooh, I care, I care, I care, like ribbons in your hair, my stomach’s all-in knots
You got the one thing that I want, Ooh,” preside in the back of the videos on TikTok. 

Allowing the lyrics to explain the trend, something that you care a great deal about that you continuously think about. 

Like many people on social media, students at Westview followed the trend as well.  

Emma Hebda, 11, said that her Roman Empire is Noah Calhoun’s speech to Allie Hamilton in “The Notebook.” 

“I just think that it is so sweet and shows true love, I think about that part of the movie a lot and just that movie in general,” Hebda said. 

Another student Kya Belt, 11, stated that one of her Roman Empires is the “Descendants” trilogies.  

“Like I can literally not go a day without thinking about those movies they were just such a random part of my childhood, and I just can’t seem to let them go,” Belt said.  

Many other students explain that their Roman Empire follows personal experiences that they have gone through.  

“Mine would just probably be experiences that I have had with friends, I think about that a lot. If I were to make a TikTok about mine it would fall along the lines of that,” Kassidy Nilius, 9 said.  

On the contrary, some students at Westview questioned the “Roman Empire” trend. 

“Ya, I guess I have heard about the trend but honestly, I do not really understand it, all the TikTok’s I have seen are all about girls. I thought it was a trend about guys,” Coltrane added. 

The Roman Empire trend is a way for individuals to express their interests in a way that connects them with others who might also feel the same.