The Westview Wire

Your Wolverine News Source

The Westview Wire

The Westview Wire

“Bottoms” is on the top of my list

As soon as I watched the trailer for “Bottoms,” I immediately made a mental note to check the Marcus Majestic website on August 26. When I heard “Could the ugly, untalented, gays please report to the principal’s office,” I knew that this movie would be my favorite of 2023. 

In this comedy, two best friends, PJ and Josie, start a fight club under the disguise of a self-defense class. By creating this club, PJ and Josie intend to gain the attention of two cheerleaders that they have crushes on. But, instead of instant love, they find themselves surrounded by an odd, yet supportive, group of friends. 

“Bottoms” presents an incredible depiction of the LGBTQ community. If you ignore the blood, backstabbing, and constant fighting, this movie provides an insight into gay and lesbian dating in high school. It is so hard to not fall in love with almost every character, gay or straight, male or female, because the writing is just that phenomenal.  

Don’t be fooled by the genre of comedy, like I was. There were multiple turning points and conflicts that almost brought a tear to my eye. In addition to the emotional displays of love and friendship, this comedy was anything but normal. 

In almost a parody fashion, “Bottoms” delivered it’s comedy in such a unique way. From a wrestler in a cage, to hilarious one-liners, and my personal favorite, the inaccurate satirical representation of high school, “Bottoms” made me laugh like I never have before. 

Usually, I refrain from laughing out loud in a theater, out of respect for everyone else. But from the very beginning, every single person had busted out in laughter, there was no way to suppress it. I can confidently say that a movie has never, ever made me laugh so hard. It truly was one of my favorite movie theater experiences. 

I saw this movie with a couple of my friends, and we each saw ourselves in a different character. When I can make a connection like that, with fictional characters, that’s how I know the movie is truly a masterpiece. 

I would recommend this movie to any high schooler, but it’s especially crafted towards young women and young gay women. Even if you don’t fall under those two categories, I can guarantee that you will enjoy the creative humor and entertaining plot of “Bottoms.”